1926

March

On March 26, thirty-seven shareholders of the Winnipeg Gallery and School of Art convene at the Board of Trade Building. At the meeting, which...
read more »

August

The Board of Directors report that financial challenges have led to Gallery operations being almost entirely suspended with expenditures confined...
read more » Has image

1927

January

Discussion mounts surrounding the relocation of the Gallery. In addition to the site at St. Mary Avenue and Memorial Boulevard, a house at 88...
read more »

1928

November

Winnipeg’s cenotaph on Memorial Boulevard is unveiled in November, after three years of controversy. In 1925, Emanuel Hahn...
read more »

That month Arthur Lismer’s Quebec Uplands is acquired for $60.

On November 13, Fritz Brandtner (1896–1969) is given a solo exhibition at the Winnipeg School of Art. Newly arrived in Winnipeg from...
read more »

1929

March

Keith Gebhardt (1899–1982) leaves his post as Principal of the School of Art. Travelling throughout Europe over the ensuing five years, he...
read more » Has image

August

Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald (1890–1956) is appointed Principal of the School of Art. His promotion reflects the esteem of faculty and...
read more » Has image

October

Winnipeg’s chapter of the Junior League, founded in 1928 as a women’s organization promoting community volunteerism, organizes an...
read more »

Stock markets collapse around the world. In a letter, FitzGerald grimly reports that “Students are experiencing an economic condition making...
read more »

1930

January

A commemorative exhibition of oil and watercolour paintings from the collection of Winnipeg millionaire businessman William Forbes Alloway...
read more » Has image

September

Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald (1890–1956) orchestrates an exhibition of 66 works of art. It includes everything donated to the Winnipeg Gallery...
read more »

December

Winnipeg real estate broker Clarence Day Shephard (1872–1949) donates two works by English romantic landscape painter Thomas Barker...
read more »

1931

January

In 1931 the Gallery receives two donations of 75 artworks, including works by two popular 19th century English landscape painters, William Callow...
read more »

That same year, J. E. H. MacDonald (1873–1932), Principal of the Ontario College of Art as well as a Group of Seven member, exhibits close...
read more »

October

In October the Winnipeg Gallery and School of Art acquires the 1925 oil sketch Lake McArthur, Rocky Mountains by Group of Seven member Lawren...
read more »

October 20 to 26, an exhibition of contemporary British watercolour paintings is held at Eaton’s department store on Portage Avenue,...
read more » Has image

1932

January

A separate managing body, led by Hugh Farquharson Osler (1881–1943), forms to plan the future of the Gallery. Osler was a Toronto-born...
read more » Has image

Alexander Musgrove (1882–1952), the former Principal of the School of Art who had stepped down in 1921, assumes the position of Curator of...
read more »

1933

April

On April 22, the Gallery reopens in the newly constructed Civic Auditorium.  The Civic Auditorium was designed by architect (and Gallery...
read more » Has image

The new Winnipeg Art Gallery Association marks its incorporation with an exhibition of paintings from the National Gallery of Canada, and another...
read more » Has image

May

In early May, a former member of the Group of Seven, Arthur Lismer (1885–1969), delivers three lectures on Canadian art.

 

Around the same time, School of Art Principal Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald (1890–1956) is invited to join the Toronto-based Group of...
read more »

October

Opening on October 21, Manitoba Society of Artists exhibit “near-to-home views, with many Winnipeg subjects of interest.” The...
read more »

1934

January

Facing a deficit of approximately $300 and a year of upcoming expenditures in the neighbourhood of $2,500, the Winnipeg Art Gallery Association...
read more » Has image

March

Abraham Albert Heaps (1885–1954), Member of Parliament, a former Winnipeg General Strike leader, and Gallery Board Member finalizes an...
read more » Has image

June

Through June and July, the Gallery mounts an exhibition of art lent by local collectors, including a work by John Constable (1776–1837)...
read more »

1935

January

Board of Trade Building, the original structure that housed the Gallery, is demolished.