Founders of the Winnipeg Art Gallery: James McDiarmid (back row middle), George Wilson (back row right), and W.J. Bulman (front row right). Visiting RCS artists F.C. Challener Homer Watson, Maurice Cullen (front row left to right), and Charles F. Roland, Commissioner of the Winnipeg Development and Industrial Bureau (back row left).
Winnipeg Development and Industrial Bureau art committee member James McDiarmid (1855–1934) states that the “ideal Winnipeg” includes an art gallery, “the best thing in the way of art [to be] seen in Western Canada.”