Municipal funding, which had decreased from $3,500 in 1922 to $2,500 in 1924, is discontinued. Even amidst this funding shortfall, there are increasing calls for the Gallery to develop and expand its art collection, and to construct a new and proper building in which to house it.

Arthur A. Stoughton (1867–1955), Head of the University of Manitoba’s Department of Architecture, states that the Gallery, “should have an assured income for maintenance and an endowment for the purchase of pictures. All this will come some time,” he adds, “but we hope it may be in our lifetime.” Stoughton recommends the Gallery’s relocation to the block bounded by St. Mary Avenue, Vaughn and York Streets, and the Mall (Memorial Boulevard today), which is the current site of the Manitoba Archives.