On April 22, the Gallery reopens in the newly constructed Civic Auditorium.
The Civic Auditorium was designed by architect (and Gallery committee member) George W. Northwood (1877–1959) through the firm Northwood and Chivers. It was built in 1932 at St. Mary Avenue and Memorial Boulevard as a Depression-era project by the City of Winnipeg. The Gallery’s new home was the western corridor of the third floor, within the “Long Gallery.” The institution that would become the Manitoba Museum occupied the Auditorium’s eastern corridor, also on the third floor. Today, the former Civic Auditorium houses the Manitoba Archives.