September 12, 1936, Winnipeg Free Press
The Winnipeg Art Gallery Association receives 90 British and European works of art on permanent loan from Mrs. Burnside, the sister of the recently deceased Winnipeg entrepreneur James G. T. Cleghorn (1844-1936). The entire collection is displayed at the Gallery in September.
Early on, doubt and “mystery” surrounded Cleghorn’s collection, and this soon became public knowledge. The general conclusion was that while there were many authentic paintings in the collection, the works attributed to Old Masters—Rubens, Titian, and Bronzino—were not genuine. Today, there remain 58 works from Cleghorn’s estate in the Gallery’s collection, including important Baroque-, Neoclassical-, and Romantic-era works by Guiseppe Puglia (c. 1600–1636), Pieter Jansz van Asch (1608–1678), Jan Frans van Bloemen (1662–1749), and George Morland (1763–1804). [