John MacAulay. Canadian Red Cross, Wikipedia.
Lawyer John Alexander MacAulay (1895–1978) is elected Board President.
MacAulay was a prominent Winnipeg lawyer who was instrumental in establishing a building for the WAG, which opened in 1971. From 1959 to 1965, he was chairman of the Board of Governors of the League of Red Cross Societies and was chairman when the Red Cross received the 1963 Nobel Peace Prize. He was also an art collector who over the next three decades, would donate over 50 works of Canadian and European art, including major pieces by Charles Orchardson (1873–1917), Emily Carr (1871–1945), Frederick Varley (1881–1969), Lawren Harris (1885–1970), James Wilson Morrice (1865–1924), Raoul Dufy (1877–1953), Ossip Zadkine (1890–1967), and Henry Moore (1898–1986).
MacAulay proposes to establish a Founders Society that would recognize individuals who had provided significant time, resources, and financial support to the Gallery. Honorary members of the Founders Society, who were deemed to have already set the standard of Gallery support, included Albert Livingstone Crossin (1868–1956), William Harvey McPherson (b. 1879), and John Parton (1878–1962).