Board President John Alonzo Russell (1907–1966) writes in the WAG newsletter that, after “soul-searching deliberations,” the Gallery would decline an offer from the provincial government to relocate to a “Cultural Centre which it proposes to build at Main and Market.” This government building initiative would create the Manitoba Museum and the Centennial Concert Hall. However, the WAG’s new home would come later, and be elsewhere.

To hear Margaret Morse, President of the Women’s Committee (1964-1966), explain how Mrs. Muriel Richardson played a key role in making this decision, click the link below.