HRH Princess Margaret and Dr. Ferdinand Eckhardt, 1971. Winnipeg Art Gallery.
On September 25, HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930–2002) and Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, officially open the new Gallery building at 300 Memorial Boulevard.
Director Ferdinand Eckhardt’s (1902–1995) wife, Sonia Eckhardt-Gramatté (d. 1974), composes a Fanfare for Eight Brass Instruments for the opening. Writing in the Winnipeg Free Press, John Graham states that “the building represents the culmination of the convictions and perseverance of those people who through the years have persisted in the belief that a society without art is unfulfilled, that is the real reason for jubilation and for shouting from the roof top—and what a roof top from which to shout and to hurl fanfares.”