Dr. Ferdinand Eckhardt (1902–1995) arrives in Winnipeg, replacing Alvan Eastman as Director of the Winnipeg Art Gallery Association, a post he would retain for 20 years.

Eckhardt arrived from Vienna, where he had received his doctorate in art history, and later worked at the Kunsthistorisches Museum. He had been encouraged to apply for the position by Dr. Charles Richard Hiscocks (1907–1998). Hiscocks was the representative of the British Council in Vienna in the 1940s when he first met Eckhardt. In 1953, Hiscocks was in Winnipeg working as a political science professor at the University of Manitoba.
Eckhardt would go on to play an instrumental role at the Gallery, ushering it into the modern era and in 1970 into its first prominent home. He made Winnipeg a centre for the study, collection, and presentation of Canadian and international art.

Eckhardt would go on to play an instrumental role at the Gallery, ushering it into the modern era and in 1970 into its first prominent home. He made Winnipeg a centre for the study, collection, and presentation of Canadian and international art.

To learn how John MacAulay convinced Dr. Eckhardt to come to Winnipeg, as told by Margaret Morse, President of the Women’s Committee (1964-1966), click the link below.